Are you looking for the perfect destination for your next getaway? Do you want somewhere with the perfect cocktail of climate, nature, beaches, leisure and delicious local food? Do you need to disconnect from the stress of the big city? We give you 10 reasons to visit Puerto Peñasco on your next break. Take note!
Just 97 kilometres from the US border, one of the most attractive Mexican cities are waiting to be discovered. With an infinite number of activities to keep you entertained or miles of beaches perfect for topping up your tan, you can decide how to spend your days. Welcome to Puerto Peñasco. Thanks to its beaches in the Gulf of California, this destination is becoming one of the most sought after in the North of Mexico. However, its beauty doesn’t stop at its golden sand and crystal clear waters, as there are so many more reasons which make a visit to Puerto Peñasco worthwhile.
- 110 kilometres of coast. That’s right, Puerto Peñasco is home to almost 70 miles of beaches that are nothing short of paradise. What holidays are made of? Even better is that the biodiversity in the sealife have meant that the region has been declared an ecological nature reserve in order to protect endangered species.
- The El Pinacate Biosphere and Gran Desierto de Altar Reserve. Another reason to visit Puerto Peñasco is without a doubt for its famous desert. More than 540 species of plant, 40 species of mammals, 200 species of birds and 40 species of reptiles have made the desert their home. Do you dare to take a tour around this biosphere reserve?
- Nightlife. If what you really want is to have a good time, the clubs in Puerto Peñasco are waiting for you. There really is something for everybody. And it is your holiday, after all, it’s time for some fun!
- A spot of fishing. During the summer is the perfect season to cast your line in the waters of Puerto Peñasco. If you are a fishing fan, you will love the diversity that can be found under the surface.
- Marine diversity. The beaches are not just a great place to soak up some rays and relax. When you visit Puerto Peñasco, be sure to check out beaches like EL Mirador, La Cholla, Las Conchas, Playa de Oro and Playa Bonita, or even the nature reserve Estero Morúa and at one of these hotspots you are bound to catch a glimpse of some colourful shells, sea snails, sea urchins, pistol shrimps amongst other amazing marine species.
- Sightseeing. Even though Puerto Peñasco was uninhabited until the beginning of the 20th Century, it has a wealth of interesting history in the form of interesting landmarks that are worth seeing. Take note – the lighthouse, the old prison, the promenade, the giant pencil and churches such as La luz del Mundo Light of the World or El Sagrado Corazón of Jesús The Sacred Heart of Jesus. The monuments worth visiting are el Ancla The Anchor, el Camaronero The shrimp fisher, el Pez the Fish el Maestro the Master and la Madre the Mother.
- El Cerro de la Ballena. This is a rock formation which is another great reason to visit Puerto Peñasco. Here you will find the lighthouse and the homes of some of the local people.
- Excellent local food. Of course, dining is absolute pleasure in Puerto Peñasco. You can decide between Tex Mex or Mexican food pure and simple! On holiday anything goes, and we need a few treats here and there, right?
- Water Sports and activities. Sail the waves of the beaches, take a ride in a 4×4 across the beaches or desert or skate along the promenade… Puerto Peñasco has everything in sport all year round. Time to keep fit!
- Climate. Of course, the climate is a fantastic reason to visit Puerto Peñasco. Warm weather all year round, you will be sure to see the mercury at a minimum of 15-20 ºC. Puerto Peñasco really is paradise!